Thursday 23 April 2009

*Diorama Drama* haha










At the end of the Easter hols, me and my sister went to a little workshop in Birmingham at the RBSA Gallery which was run by Lizzie Thomas, a brilliant craft artist who makes beautiful books and cutouts in various forms. I first saw her work at the Brighton degree show last year and the again at Hove Art Gallery not long ago where I happened to join her mailing list. It turns out that she was doing this workshop during the time I was at home so I had to go along! We were basically the only marginally grown up people there - everyone else was about seven, but I still enjoyed it loads!! We made paper dioramas - Lizzie's version, and the one she brought in for an example is called Blue Fox and is beautifully toned and has a select number of layers, making a lovely composition. My diorama was sort of doomed from the start in terms of subtle tones, as the kids had chosen all the best box frames before I got mine, so I had a red one. I then thought id would be a good idea to put in as many layers as possible, which turned out a little bit haphazard, but I did like it in the end, and its inspired a few aspects of my work for the show! I'll do a post soon about Lizzie's work...
:0


No comments:

Post a Comment